Jackson Ave. blaze leaves seven families homeless

A four-alarm fire at 603 Jackson Ave. on Dec. 16 left seven families homeless.

A four-alarm fire at 603 Jackson Ave. on Dec. 16 injured eight, including six firefighters, one of whom was treated for burns.

The fire started at 7:45 in the morning on the third floor of the 39-apartment building, according the FDNY. It was caused by burning incense left unattended in an apartment. The fire was brought under control shortly after noon, after gutting the building and 605 Jackson Ave. next door. Thirty-six residents from seven families were displaced as a result of the blaze, according to the Red Cross.

In all, 175 firefighters were called to the scene to put out the fire.

Families forced to leave their homes due to fires are put up in area hotels in the short term, according to the Red Cross. They are offered counseling and small amounts of cash in the aftermath of their uprooting.

https://www.motthavenherald.com/2017/02/20/0426/ https://motthavenherald.com/2017/10/23/20210408/