Police Beat: the week of 9/29 in crime


POLICE ARRESTED  three people for assault in separate incidents in cases involving victims struck in the head with objects ranging from a cellphone to a glass bottle.

A 38-year-old woman was repeatedly hit in the face with a cellphone, leaving her face bleeding and swollen on the afternoon of Oct. 1 at 281 E. 153rd St., according to police. Police arrested Maduro Zuleyshack, 30, who pleaded not guilty and was released on her own recognizance.

Later that day, a man named John King allegedly hit another man in the head with a glass bottle at 455 E. 148th St., according to police and the DA’s office. King also allegedly punched the 50-year-old victim in the face several times, according to court documents. King pleaded not guilty and was released without bail.

Finally, a teenage boy hit another teenager in the face and fractured his jaw at the Horizon juvenile detention center at 560 Brook Ave. around 12:25 p.m. on Oct. 2, said police. The defendant pleaded not guilty.

Bad Check

THE MYSTERIOUS CASE of a counterfeit check for $5,485.83 may have been solved, said police.  They arrested Diandra Sital, 25, on Oct. 6, on charges that she cashed the check knowing it was counterfeit eight months ago, on Feb. 25, at the Rite Check on East138th Street, according to the DA’s office. Sital pleaded not guilty and was released until her next court date, Nov. 12.

Cabinet Theft

A WITNESS reported seeing a man break a back window and enter a home at 736 E. 137th St on Oct. 3 at about 1:30 p.m. Police said Juan Davila, 54, stole a kitchen cabinet. Davila was charged with trespassing, burglary and criminal possession of stolen property and pleaded not guilty. Bail was set at $7,500, and he remained behind bars, according to the DA.

Cell Phones Taken

POLICE MADE five arrests in the never-ending battle against cell phone robberies. Charges were dropped in two cases, and the other three suspects pleaded not guilty, according to the DA’s office.

Lavon Parker, 19, was arrested for allegedly robbing a cell phone from a 29-year-old victim just after 2 p.m. on Oct. 3 at the corner of Willis Avenue and East 144th Street. According to the DA’s office, Parker struggled with the victim, pulled her to the ground and dragged her along the sidewalk. The victim had bruises and scratches on her knees and feet, police said. Parker pleaded not guilty and has been released until his Nov. 7 court date.

Forty-seven-year-old Kevin Ingram allegedly robbed a 16-year-old boy at 560 E 149th St. about 8:30 a.m. on Oct. 3, taking the teenager’s cell phone, police said. According to the teen’s statement, Ingram grabbed his hands and said, “Don’t run, don’t run.” When the young man managed to get his hands free, his cell phone was gone, he told police. Ingram pleaded not guilty and his bail was set at $15,000, according to the DA’s office.

Andrew Brooks, 18, is being held on charges that he grabbed a cell phone out of a 12-year-old girl’s sweatshirt pocket and ran. The robbery occurred around 4:50 p.m. on Oct. 5, in front of 353 E 141st St. Brooks pleaded not guilty and was released until his next court appearance on Nov. 21

 No Charges

THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY decided not to prosecute five cases—four of them violent assaults–in which police made arrests. The DA’s office did not immediately return a phone call seeking explanations.

A 21-year-old man was the victim of a knifepoint robbery while he played basketball on East 153 Street in Melrose on Sept. 30 at about 1:30 p.m. police said  Police arrested a suspect but the DA dropped the charges, according to a spokesman for the DA’s office.

While arguing with his girlfriend at 271 E.  143 St. just after 11 p.m.. on  Oct. 1, a 25-year-old man allegedly grabbed her cell phone from her hand and ran down the stairs, police said. Charges are not being pressed.

A 30-year-old man was hit over the head with a glass jar by a 47-year-old woman at 520 E. 156th St. around 1:20 a.m. on Oct. 2, police said.  The victim had cuts on the right side of his face, police said, but the case is not being prosecuted.

A 36-year-old woman struck a 40-year-old man in the face with a heel of a boot around 3:30 a.m. at 720 Westchester Ave. on Oct. 6, police said. The victim had minor pain and swelling in his left eye. The case is not being prosecuted.

Also on Oct. 6, a 41-year-old woman was cut on her left forearm with a kitchen knife after she intervened when an 18-year-old girl tried to use the knife to cut her girlfriend’s property, according to police. The assault occurred at 815 E. 152nd St. around 11:01 a.m.  The case is not being prosecuted.

A spokesman for the DA said “No information is public” concerning the reasons the cases were dropped.

Items in Police beat are based on reports from the 40th Precinct and Bronx District Attorney’s office. Those arrested are not guilty unless a court convicts them.

https://www.motthavenherald.com/2017/02/20/0426/ https://motthavenherald.com/2017/10/23/20210408/