A 16-year old boy was robbed at knifepoint at 2:50 p.m. Monday Oct. 22 at the corner of Third Avenue and East 149th Street.  The alleged perpetrator, another 16-year old boy, snatched the victim’s property as he brandished a knife, police said.  The suspect was arrested on charges including robbery, according to police.  Because the alleged thief was a juvenile, the case has been sealed.

Later that day, at approximately 9 p.m., two men leaving a store at the corner of Melrose Avenue and East 150th Street were approached by a group of six or seven men. According to the victims, one of the men, George Ortega, 32, grabbed one of them by the right arm and said, “If you don’t give us the money, we’re going to kill you.” A second man, Frank Texidor, 44, allegedly hit the second victim in the head with a “hard plastic stick,” the victim told the police. The first victim said that Ortega then punched him in the face several times, and said he saw Texidor punch his friend. He also told the district attorney’s office that the assailants stole $1,000 from his pocket as he lay on the ground. The charges against Texidor and Ortega include robbery and assault. Texidor and Ortega both pleaded not guilty at their arraignment on Oct. 23. Texidor was released without bail. Ortega’s bail was set at $1. They are due back in court on Feb. 3 next year. The other men who allegedly took part of the attack remain at large.

Three days later, four men robbed and threatened a 54-year old man with a knife on Cortland Avenue at about 11 p.m. on Oct. 26.  Severiano Alonzo, 52, Carlos Gonzales, 40, and Rolando Reyes, 33, allegedly threatened the victim, removed his cell phone and wallet from his pockets and then threw beer in his face when he tried to walk away, according to the DA’s report.  “If your brother doesn’t pay, you will pay,” said one of the assailants, according to the DA’s office.  The three men were charged with three counts of robbery, grand larceny and second degree menacing along with four lesser charges, according to the DA’s office. The fourth man remains at large. The defendants pleaded not guilty during their Oct. 27 arraignment and were released without bail.

Domestic Disputes

Police charged a 24-year old man with criminal trespass after he crept through a window at 3 a.m. into the East 140th Street apartment of his daughter and her mother on Oct. 22. The victim told authorities that she was lying in bed when Ramon Lorenzo, 24, walked into her room and refused to leave. “Just because you left my house and took my daughter with you, you think I’m not going to be able to find you. I will find my way through this building,” Lorenzo told her before leaving through the kitchen window, according to the DA’s office. He entered a plea of not guilty during his arraignment on Oct. 23 and will appear in court on Dec. 16.

Another man attacked his ex-girlfriend in a stairwell during a fight at 820 St. Ann’s Ave. on Oct. 23 around 3:30 p.m., authorities said. Tereall Richardson, 27, grabbed the victim’s hair and caused her to fall backwards on the staircase then slammed her head repeatedly against the stairs and choked her, according to the DA’s office. “I’m not going to let you call the cops,” Richardson said, according to the DA’s office, before stealing the victim’s cell phone and leaving the scene. The victim reported suffered a small cut on her neck, along with substantial pain and stiffness, according to the DA, but was not hospitalized. Richardson was charged with two counts of robbery, grand larceny and assault, along with four lesser charges. He pled not guilty during his arraignment on Oct. 24 and his bail was set at $7,500, according to the DA’s office.

On Oct. 27, at approximately 1:40 a.m., a 43-year old woman was hit on the head with a metal cane by her husband, James Harris, 53, in their apartment on East 156th Street, according to police. She sought medical treatment at a local hospital thereafter. Police arrested Harris, who was charged with assault, according to the district attorney’s office. He pleaded not guilty and was released without bail. He is due back in court on Dec. 9.


A thief was spotted unloading tools from a plumber’s truck parked at East 136th Street and Bruckner Boulevard on Oct. 26, police said.  A witness told police that he saw the suspect, Jerry Soto-Medina, attempting to make off with more than $1,000 worth of tools at about 3 p.m. Police said they later tracked down and charged Soto-Medina with burglary, grand larceny and criminal possession of stolen property, along with two lesser charges. Soto-Medina pleaded not-guilty during his arraignment on Oct. 27.


At around 9 p.m. on Oct. 25, Michael Brown, 54, went into the Dunkin Donuts at 270 E. 149th St. where he got into an argument with a 26-year old man. Brown then hit the other man in the head and his body with a metal basket, police said. The victim sustained injuries to his face and back of his head and was later taken to Lincoln Hospital, where he received stitches to his head and forehead. Brown was charged with assault and criminal possession of a weapon, among other charges, according to the district attorney’s office. He was released on $1,000 bail.

The next day, a 22-year old man and Ralph Nolan, 24, started arguing outside of 778 Union Ave. at approximately 10:35 p.m. According to police, Nolan struck the victim in the head with a glass bottle, cutting him. The charges against Nolan included assault, according to the district attorney’s office. He was released without bail on his own recognizance. His next court appearance is on Nov. 14.

Items in Police beat are based on reports from the 40th Precinct and Bronx district attorney’s office. Those arrested are not guilty unless a court convicts them.

About Post Author

One thought on “Police beat: the week of Oct. 21 in crime”

Comments are closed.