Police beat: the week of Oct. 28 in crime

Watch your bike

Bicycle thieves have assaulted early morning riders and stole their bicycles on the bridges over the Harlem River four times so far this fall, police said.

The latest incident occurred on Nov. 1, when a 34-year-old man rode his bike over the Willis Avenue Bridge at 6:15 a.m. Police say two men grabbed the rider off his bike and began to hit him in the face with a metal pipe.  Emergency medics on the scene suspected that his nose was broken and took him to the hospital.

The first incident occurred on Sept. 6 at 5:15 a.m., authorities said, when a 44-year-old man was punched while riding his bike to work on the Third Avenue Bridge. Police reports said the thief was a man who stole the victim’s bike after the attack.

Two men pushed another 29-year-old man off his bike and stole it on the Willis Avenue Bridge at 5:30 a.m. on Sept. 30, police said. The victim described one of the men as 5-foot-10 and weighing approximately 175 pounds. The victim also told police that one of the suspects threatened to kill him with a knife.

Police reports also show that on Oct. 6 at 6:20 a.m., a man was riding his bike to work on the Third Avenue Bridge when he was pulled to the ground. Police say the victim’s bike was stolen.He told police his attacker was about 5 feet 8 inches tall.

Cell phone robberies

Three teenage girls — two 15-year-olds and a 14-year-old — were arrested for stealing a cellphone on Third Avenue and East 157th Street at 4 p.m. on Oct. 29. The victim, a 24-year-old woman, told police one suspect hit her in the face before her cellphone was stolen. All arrested have been charged as juveniles, and no further information is available.

A 30-year-old woman had her cellphone stolen while walking near 340 Alexander Ave. at 11:30 p.m. on Oct. 28. Police said the suspect, a 44-year-old man, kicked the victim in her left leg and took the phone. A suspect was arrested, but the DA has sealed the case.


A 42-year-old father whipped his 16-year-old son with a computer cord around midnight on Oct. 29 on East 156th Street near St. Ann’s Avenue, police said. According to police reports, the dispute began over the father’s demand for his son’s bracelets. The father was hit with six charges, including two counts of robbery in the second degree, criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree and endangering the welfare of a child, according to the DA’s office. He pled not guilty at his arraignment on Oct. 31, and was released on his own recognizance. He must appear in court on Nov. 20.

A 47-year-old man claimed his 41-year-old ex-girlfriend hit him on the back of the neck with a wooden stick, police said. He required stitches for an injury to the right side of his face. The incident happened just after midnight on Oct. 29 at 370 Morris Ave.The DA has sealed the case and no further information is available.

Domestic complaint

Police reported that Michael Marsh, 26, and Raheem Hooper, 21, were arrested and charged after a bloody dispute at 2:30 a.m. on Halloween. According to the district attorney’s office,  Marsh punched Hooper in the face repeatedly and forced her to run for safety to the nearest hospital. Marsh chased Hooper with a BBQ fork and stabbed her on her lower back, authorities said. An injured Hooper retaliated by slashing Marsh’s face with a sharp object, sending him to Bronx Lebanon Hospital, the DA’s office said. Hooper finally received medical attention at Lincoln Hospital. Both Marsh and Hooper are charged with assault, criminal possession of a weapon, harassment and menacing. They each pleaded not guilty at their arraignments and were released on their own recognizance. Hooper will appear in court on Dec. 9while Marsh’s appearance will be on Dec. 12.

An argument between a man and a woman turned violent in the early hours of Nov. 2. Gerald Johnson, 25, brutally attacked his 21-year-old ex-girlfriend at 681 Courtlandt Ave., police said. According to the DA’s office, Johnson began his attack by hitting the woman in the mouth while demanding that she “stop playing” with him. The situation escalated as he began to yell, “You crossed me” while he punched her in the nose and choked her, authorities said. He then burnt her with a cigarette on her right shoulder before his final blow — throwing her iPhone out of the seventh story window, according to police. Johnson pleaded not guilty at his arraignment on Nov. 3. He was charged with five counts, including assault in the third degree and criminal obstruction of breathing. His bail was set at $1,500 cash or bond and his next court appearance is Nov. 13.



About Post Author

3 thoughts on “Police beat: the week of Oct. 28 in crime

Comments are closed.